|You Are Here : : Home > Company History|
|A BRIEF HISTORY OF MAKITA…|
Mr. Mosaburo Makita and three employees founded Makita Corporation as Makita Electric Works in March 1915. The company initially started out repairing electrical motors. From that small beginning, Makita expanded into manufacturing electrical motors for various applications. In January 1958, the company introduced its first power tool—an electric planer. The heart of any power tool is the electric motor, and it is Makita Corporation's continued research that allows it to produce the highest quality product in the marketplace today. Research and development continues at the factories in Japan where engineers meticulously design and test new tools for introduction to the marketplace.
Makita Canada Inc. commenced its operations in Scarborough, Ontario in 1973 and relocated to Whitby, Ontario in 1982 where a 52,000 square foot facility was established. Since then, Makita has evolved into a leading designer and producer of an extensive range of portable electric, cordless and pneumatic power tools as well as a gasoline-powered line of outdoor equipment that includes chainsaws, line trimmers, generators, power cuts and water pumps. Each Makita power tool is built with the finest materials and subjected to strict quality control examination, including a test run under power before leaving the factory.
In the spring of 1993 Makita Canada celebrated a milestone with the production of its 1-millionth power tool (Model 5007NB circular saw.) By following the same uncompromising standards and principles of quality adopted at its inception, the Canadian operation has grown steadily.
Supporting that quality has been a determined philosophy comprised of superior customer service and on-time delivery. The enthusiastic reception of Makita power tools by the Canadian construction and consumer market has led to solid growth.
Today, Makita Canada Inc. employs over 100 fulltime associates across Canada. The organization is comprised of a corporate headquarters in Whitby, Ontario, a regional sales and distribution centre in Richmond, British Columbia, and a sales centre in St. Leonard, Quebec. The Whitby corporate offices and distribution facility spans 160,000 square feet. In addition to these three centres, we have Factory Service Centres (FSCs) and Authorized Service Centres (ASCs) located across the country.